Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What Do You Want For Your Children?

There are so many things in life that I would love to give my children - extravagent vacations to Disney World every year, new cars on their 16th birthdays,  a big huge farmhouse to run and play in, with plenty of beautiful farm land to inherit one day, trust funds from grandparents.  But lets face it, the chances of any of those things happening are probably slim.  And more importantly, what would my children really gain from that?  I mean - what do any of those things mean in the big picture?? 

More and more lately, I've had to take a step back and look at the "big picture".  Forget my immediate desires to give my children everything their hearts desire - what I really need to be doing as a parent is preparing my children for life.  The Big Picture.

I want my children to know that being honest is NOT the easiest way, but it is much easier than carrying the burdens of a liar. 

I want them to know that their parents love them.  And we love them enough to let them learn how to pick themselves up. 

I want them to know how to appreciate simple things - a Saturday afternoon with nothing to do, a birthday party without a blowup bouncy house and catering truck, quiet alone time.

I want them to be unafraid of new adventures.  Befriend the new kid.  Take an uncharted road trip.  Accept the new job. 

I want them to work hard in all that they do - building tree houses, hauling hay, fixing a fence, at their first job and in their careers, marriages and even childraising.

I want them to know the effort that goes into earning their own living, making a marriage work and being a parent.

I want them to experience the satisfaction that comes from helping others in their time of need.  We all have times of need and one day, it will be them.

I want them to know how to be a good friend.  I hope that they can witness my friendships and know what a good friend looks like.

I want them to know what it feels like to be surrounded by people who share different views and desires, yet stand firm in their beliefs. 

I want them to know that although the world is a scary, twisted place, life is exactly what you make of it.  Let it be a good life.

I want them to know that a good life is not measured by the brand of your clothes, the amount of home runs you've hit, the number of weddings you're invited to, the size of your home, or the newness of your car.  A good life is measured by the laugh lines on your face and the memories that make YOU happy.

What are you doing to prepare your children for the real world?  What kind of foundations are you building for your children?  Because at the end of the day, Under Armour will go out of style, they will grow tired of their new cars and trade them in (or worse yet - wreck them), they will grow too old for their prestigious little league team, and you won't always be around to homeschool them or control who they spend their time with.  Tell me - what are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment