Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Will cracks the doctor's office up....


I took the boys to the pediatrician this morning for their 15 month and 3 year well check ups.  I loathe going to the doctor's office for soooooo many reasons, but I do enjoy the 15 scheduled minutes to chat with their doctor about their little hiccups and progresses.  Anyhoo - the boys are the picture of health.  Will maintains his rock-steady 75th percentile status, in both weight and height.  Brooks is kind of off the charts.  What can I say, he's just a tank :)

I knew Brooks was scheduled for his boosters, however they gave me the option of giving Will a vaccine now, rather than getting multiple vaccines at his 4-year appointment, so we went ahead a got one for Will too.

While the pediatrician was examining Will's chest and abdomen, he ask Will what was in his belly.  Never to disappoint, Will replied "Cinnamon pancakes and boo boo berries (blueberries)".  As the doctor peered into Will's ears, he said "Let's see if there are any blueberries in your ears."  Will said "No - they're in my belly.  Now you ought to know that Docta!"  The doctor simply grinned and commented on Will's quick assertion.

Next, the "shot lady" as I like to call her came in with several needles in tow.  We quietly decided to have Will go first and as she readied the needle, Will said "Don't poke me with that lady!"  She did so anyway and Will quickly started rubbing his leg and whining a little.  I told him that Brooks was going to get a few shots and I needed him to be a good big brother and show Brooks how to be brave.

Now Brooks is in my lap and the shot lady gives Brooks his shots.  He immediately begins howling and Will (still rubbing his own leg) comes over and says "I know it.  It hurts just a little bit now son."  The nurse was giggling and started to make a remark about his accent when Will continued to Brooks with "I know son.  She's just hateful."  Oh my.  I turned beet red, but the nurse was laughing so hard she was doubled over as she left the exam room.  I got the boys dressed and we headed out.  When I passed the nurses station, the shot lady was recounting her encounter with Will and the whole place was giggling.

We're finally at the checkout counter and Will is given a sucker for his bravery.  He stood beside me, totally unaware of my watching him, saying to himself "owowow it hurts it hurts (while rubbing his leg).  I'm a big boy.  I'm a big boy. (cringing, but not rubbing now)."  ahhhhhh - if I'd only had his little solitary pep talk on video.....

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh that is hilarious! I love your blog! It's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete