Monday, June 13, 2011

A Day in the Life



I've seen this done on a lot of blogs I follow and I thought you guys might get a kick out of reading about mine.  (I may be totally wrong and you may bored out of your mind - forgive me if that's the case).

Saturday, June 11th - (My first Saturday off in 6 weeks)

2:15 AM:  For some unknown reason (mother's telepathy I'm guessing) I crack my eyes open.  Will is standing on my side of the bed and says "Mom, I need to tell you something.  But first I need to get in your bed."  March said child back to his bed.

6:30 AM:  Will wakes up, comes into our room and demands milk.  When I say no, he walks out of the room and I doze back off.

6:31 AM:  I hear the sound of the refrigerator open.  Ugh.  I make my way down the hallway to find Will with a gallon of milk and a cup in the floor.  I catch him before he makes a mess.  Score one for mom.

7:15 AM:  Will is watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I start the laundry.  I make a mental note to wake this child up every morning at 6:30 when he's a teenager.

7:45 AM:  Brooks wakes up.  I go into his room and he meets me with a cheesy grin.  I change his 10lb diaper and set him down.   He immediately walks to the fridge, points and says "Dis."  (Which is 15 month-old for "This" - meaning Milk!)

7:46 AM:  I try to find a clean sippy cup.  It seems we loaded the dishwasher last night, but did not start it.  Brooks is becoming impatient.

7:47 AM:  Brooks is now squatting in the floor screaming.  Will says "Mom - he just wants Milk.  Get him some milk."  Thanks Bud - I got it.

8:15 AM:  Cinnamon French Toast sticks are in the microwave for the kiddos.  My whole wheat bagel is toasting.  Will says "What cha eating Mom?  I want a bagel too!"  I tell him I've already made his "cinnamon pancakes" (as he calls them).  Will's begging gets louder while I try to explain how yummy cinnamon pancakes are.

8:20 AM:  Brooks and I are eating cinnamon pancakes while Will has taken one bite of my peanut butter bagel and discarded it for his yogurt.

9:45 AM:  The boys are playing nicely fighting over the same toy.  Timeout #1 for the day.

10:00 AM:  Brooks goes down for his first nap and Will and I watch Tangled.  I love this movie.

11:30 AM:  I thank the Lord for the last hour and a half of near relaxation and wake Brooks up.  The child is a little too much like his momma and would sleep his life away if I let him.

11:35 AM:  Wrangle two toddlers into shoes, let the 3-year old use the potty, pull a ball cap on and head to the door.  I put Brooks in the car no sweat.  Now to find Will - oh yes - he's playing with a gas can in the garage.  Nice.

11:36 AM:  Warn Will of all the dangers in the shiny bright red plastic container and give him the stern eye.

11:36:30 AM:  Chase Will around the car until I finally catch his arm on a run-by.  HA!  Score another one for Mom!

11:45 AM:  Arrive at EmiLu's Cakes and Treats - a new bakery in downtown Adairsville.  I'm all about supporting local businesses, and this one just happens to be a bakery :)  The bakery is so nice looking - leather sofas, nice display cases, a sign that says "No public bathroom".  I think to myself how annoying it must be when people come in and want to use the bathroom.

11:46 AM:  Will announces that he has to pee.  Great.  I look at the sweet lady who owns this nice new bakery and she so sweetly shows me the way to the not-so-public restroom.

11:47 AM:  Attempt to help Will potty in a not-so-public restroom while fishing Brooks out of the trash can, toilet paper container, and sink plumbing.  Gross.

11:50 AM:  I'm attempting to pay for my goodies when I hear Will say, "Mom!  Get Brooks!  He's in the kitchen!" Retrieve said toddler.

11:52 AM:  Hand sweet lady my debit card.  Oops.  Of course they don't accept cards, this is their first day open.  Great.  Write a check for $9.00.

11:55 AM:  The boys and I sit on a bench in the square and eat our treats.  Chocolate cupcake for Will, sugar cookie for Brooks, and a red velvet cupcake for me.  YUMMMMMMM.

12:20 PM:  We're at home now and I check the clock - one more hour until Daddy gets home!!

1:20 PM:  Daddy's not home, so I call to check in.  Working late.  Nice.  I make the boys' lunch and myself a turkey sandwich.

2:00 PM:  Brandon calls.  He wants pizza for lunch.  I turn on the oven and attempt to clean two little grimy faces and four little grimy hands.

2:07 PM:  Change Brooks' diaper and attempt to lay him down for nap #2.  Will is standing at Brooks' crib shoving toys through the rails.  I fish them out and whisper a warning to Will.

2:08 PM:  I turn to close the curtains in Brooks' room and Will begins singing "Ol' Dan Tucker was a mightyyyyy man!  Washed his face in a fryin' pannnn!"  I drag a screaming Will out for timeout #2 and shut Brooks' door.

2:10 PM:  Will announces from timeout that Brooks is still crying and not sleeping - "Mom!  He wants you!  Mom!  He's not sleeping!"  Of course the kid isn't sleeping - his big brother was acting like a clown from the circus while he was getting put down for a nap.

2:11 PM:  The pre-heat bell goes off on the oven and Will thinks it's the timer on the microwave, telling him timeout is over.  How can I explain that to a 3 year-old??  Will gets out of timeout early.

2:13 PM:  Brandon comes in and asks where his lunch is.  I want to slap him.

2:15 PM:  I drag a whiney Will to his room for his nap.  He's "not sleepy!" and he's definitely "not taking a nap!"

2:20 PM:  Will is asleep and I hit the sack too :)

5:58 PM:  I'm awaken to the sound of a door slamming.  It's just Will.  It seems three of the four Rutledges slept more than 3 hours.  Great.  This kills bedtime.

6:15 PM:  It's pouring rain (which kills my evening training session) and Brandon wants Wes-Mans for supper.  This is another local restaurant we love to support.  I call my mom and dad (whom I NEVER see even though they live 15 minutes away) and they agree to meet us for dinner.

7:15 PM:  Arrive at Wes-Man's.  It's still pouring rain.  Brandon retrieves Brooks while I run to get Will.

7:16 PM:  Attempt to find the two shoes that the child has taken off along the drive.

7:18 PM:  Find his shoes in the very back of the SUV and put Will's shoes on.  I'm laughing hysterically because my head and back are getting soaked.  Will tells me "just calm down, Mom.  You'll dry."

7:20 PM:  Freeze my tail off in Wes-Mans because I'm soaking wet.

8:30 PM:  Since the kids took a long nap, we head to Mom and Dad's for some catching up.  It's always nice to go home and sit on their sofa :)

9:30 PM:  We make our way home with two sleepy toddlers in back seat.

9:40 PM:  Arrive at home and wipe the kids off with a wet wipe.  Hey - they had a bath yesterday!

10:00 PM:  Move the laundry I started at 7:15 from the washer to the dryer.

10:30 PM:  I get in the bed - ahhhhhh.

12:31 AM:  I move from the bed to the couch because I can't sleep (certainly because of the 3 hour nap I took).

1:31 AM:  I look at the clock for the last time and think about what 10 miles on the bike + a 2 mile run is going to feel like with so little sleep.


My two boys are wild, but I wouldn't trade my Saturdays with them for anything :)











No comments:

Post a Comment