Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy Birthday America!


We had a fun and relaxing (if you can use that word with two little boys) 4th of July weekend.  I love this holiday and everything that it stands for.  Like most Americans, when I think of Independence Day, I think of little hometown parades with children waving tiny flags, glistening swimming pools, hotdogs, bug spray and fireworks.  But I also think its important to remember how we came to our freedom and what America stands for today.  I love that I live in a country where I am free to believe, free to dream and free to live.  OK - enough of the serious....

We spent our holiday with our friends and family at my parent's house.  This is an annual tradition and it never disappoints.  Brandon and I arrived with the boys around 1:00 in the afternoon and attempted to get a little swim time in.  Two things hindered this attempt:  1.  Will's belligerent fear of the swimming pool and 2.  The reoccurring 10-minute torrential downpours.

Isn't it funny how we as parents try to get our children to succumb to peer pressure in so many ways, and then pray to God that they don't as teenagers??  All afternoon I tried to reassure Will by telling him "Look at Dane!  Look at how big Dane is!!  See Dane swimming??"  Yeah - no such luck.  Will was jut not having it, so after about 30-40 minutes of clinging to my neck for dear life, I let him out to play in the sand box.  He was a happy camper after that.  Brooks continues to love the water, and has no fear whatsoever.  He doesn't like the confinement of the baby floats, but he pushes my hands away when I'm holding him.  He puts his face in the water and "jumps" (walks) off the side to anyone who's willing to catch.  If I had about 3-4 more months with him, he would probably be fine in arm floaties.

After swimming, our crew of about 35 piled into the house for hamburgers and hot dogs.  And these fun treats -


We had such a time laughing at our crazy kids (mine mostly - everyone else's kids can behave).  Between Brooks finding a plunger and Will's smart mouth, they certainly kept us entertained.  Will has finally found a friend that likes to rough-house with him - his little buddy Dane held his own like a real pro! Although the fireworks were rained out, we had such a fun day and I can't wait to do it all again next year :)










(Thanks Michelle for the pictures!)

No comments:

Post a Comment