Tuesday, July 19, 2011

One Lucky Girl


I celebrated my 27th birthday yesterday.  I am another year older and much much wiser.  Ok - probably not that much wiser, but I can pretend.  It was an amazing birthday weekend, complete with much-loved downtime with my friends and family, cupcakes, and a present or two ;)

I actually had Saturday off and it was kind of a dreary day, so the boys and I (Brandon had to work) spent the morning doing what I never feel like I get to do enough of - the every day things that many of you stay at home mommies get to enjoy.  We made breakfast at home, played in our pjs and then I loaded them up for a drive to "look for trains."  This is where we ride around town, stalking the train tracks until we hear the glorious whistle of a choo-choo.  When the train storms by, Will and I talk about what kind of train cars the train has - freight cars, fuel cars, boxcars, etc.... and then dream up a fun place that he might be headed.  We also name the engine (although 90% of the time, Will names them "Thomas").  This is also a great opportunity to pay bills.  I usually park in the downtown area and write checks while Will is scouting out trains.  HA!  So then of course, after we found a train, we went to the post office and back home.  I guess I just love doing these things with my babies because it's the one tiny little glimpse of the stay-at-home mommy life that I get.

Anyhoo - After Brandon returned home from work, I went out to meet my mom for a little birthday shopping.  Believe it or not, my mom and I never ever get to spend time together.  In fact, the last time that we did anything together was Christmas shopping in 2010.  Still don't believe it??  I mean, we see each other, and we definitely talk at least once per day, but we're usually running in opposite directions as we chatter on the phone.

Later Saturday evening, Brandon took me to see the new Harry Potter movie.  It was good.  We've seen all of them, so of course we had to go to the final movie.  It was a great end, but kind of humorous at the very end (at least I thought they looked ridiculous as middle-aged adults).

Because I had to work Monday + take the boys to Vacation Bible School in the evening, Brandon decided to give me my birthday present on Sunday evening.  He knew exactly what to get me and I am so happy to be the proud new owner of a Nook Color -


I love it!  I love to read and I'm super excited about all the possibilities of my little gadget.  PLUS - I won't have all these books lying around that I've bought, read once, and will probably never read again!  I've already downloaded my first read -


I accidentally read the third book in this series first, so now I'm backtracking to the first.  It's pretty good so far, albeit a little scandalous.  Think maid-of-honor is having an affair with the groom-to-be.  I know - good quality material.  A real thinker.  Oh well - after I read this, plus it's sequel, I'll read something a little more in-depth.  (Probably not, but it's a nice thought.)

I am so blessed to be another year older.  I'm not going to lie - 26 was rough.  I went through some of life's hardest blows that year.  I'm happy to welcome 27 with open arms, an open mind, and an open heart.  So thank you to everyone who made my birthday special - from the phone calls to the Facebook messages.  I'm so blessed.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment