Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hello 3rd Trimester!



Well, I've officially entered the home stretch folks.  I can't believe how fast this pregnancy has flown by, but I guess that's kind of what happens when you're too busy to count the days and/or weeks like I did with my first pregnancy (and a little with the second, but I eventually gave up on that too).  When people ask me how far along I am, I have to refer to my planner where I so ingeniously wrote down my due date 7 months ago.  I almost think I would forget that too if I hadn't written it down :/

I had an OB appointment last week and everything is looking great!  I did have to succumb to the ol' glucose screening, which is soooo gross.  I guess part of the reason why I dread it so badly is also because I have always failed them.  With Will I failed both the 1 hour AND the 3 hour test, and was officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I was able to keep it well under control just by changing my diet though.  I remember how badly I cried and felt like my whole world was crumbling down when I got that phone call and then had to go to meet with a nutritionist.  They definitely made me feel like something was wrong with me and that he would surely have two heads, but alas he was a perfect 7lbs and 4oz :)  I failed the 1 hour with Brooks, but passed the 3 hour test.  3 months later, Brooks came into the world 1 week late and weighing in at a whopping 9lbs 15.5oz.  So I'm pretty sure I had diabetes and went undiagnosed with him.  He's also perfectly healthy - and has been since day one.  This go round, I'm definitely expecting to fail it, but I'm not stressing myself out.  I will just go ahead and restrict my sugar intake on my own even if they don't officially diagnose me.  I'm still waiting on the results from the 1 hour screening...

We also had a follow up ultrasound to check on my previously mentioned low-lying placenta.  Everything looks great there as well.  As this pregnancy has progressed, the placenta has naturally moved away from the cervix just enough that they feel comfortable saying that it won't be an issue.  Little Tessa was quite hyped-up from the sugar drink and showed off for us.  She sucked her thumb and wiggled all around.  The ultrasound tech said her measurements indicated that she probably weighs right around 2lbs right now and that is right on track.  My goofy husband said "Is that all?" when she told us this and I chose to take the high road and forget he said that.... ;)

We're certainly trying to get our home and boys prepared for little bit to arrive in 3 months, but it's a sllllloooowwww process.  The boys are officially sharing a room now - we moved them into their new twin beds nearly two weeks ago and I finally combined their closets last weekend.  This has proven to be an interesting transition.  Will has taken it in stride, Brooks however has not.  He cried the first night, asking to go to his old bed.  After that, he hasn't cried anymore, but he spends at least an hour getting up, trying to get in Will's bed, playing with toys and just generally being rambunctious (kicking his headboard, knocking on the wall, etc...)  Poor Will usually tries to tell on him for the first 20 minutes or so and then gives up, turns over and goes to sleep in the middle of his brother's shenanigans.  When asked about his brother sharing a room with him at school, Will told his teacher that he doesn't get to sleep anymore! Ha!  This is so untrue... he is the first to sleep every night.  (He also told his grandmother one day this week that we put them to bed without supper the night before because we didn't have any food.  This is such a tall tale and although it's funny, I'm just glad he told that story to his grandmother who knew better and not a teacher who would have probably been justified in confronting me about it...)  I plan on showing you what their new room looks like as soon as I tie up all the "loose ends" - framed prints, bed skirts, etc...

I am still in the process of sewing Tessa's bedding.  I like about two more good sewing days which is proving quite difficult to set aside with t-ball, mother's day, our upcoming 6 year wedding anniversary, etc.... but I'm hoping to wrap it up soon.  We need to at least get her room primed so that we can start trying to find that perfect shade of paint.  I've got one picked out that is a perfect match to the fabric in her bumper, but I'm afraid it may be too vibrant on the wall, so we'll be sampling a few shades just to make sure.  I also need to get moving on window treatments and fabric for the glider.  Another day that needs to be dedicated to fabric shopping seems so far fetched for me....  I also really want the espresso colored (very expensive) furniture to be a pretty antique white, but I'm not sure I have the time/energy to dedicate to that (and I'm pretty partial to Will's teething marks on the side rail).  We'll see what becomes a priority and what takes a back seat :)  I know one thing is for sure - I'm NOT buying new furniture, so we'll have to make this gorgeous set work.  I've also been perusing Etsy for those perfect accessories/prints for her room. 

We're also verrrrryyyy behind on all the necessary items for a newborn - car seat, baby monitor, bottles, burp cloths, bibs, receiving blankets.....you get the idea.  I'm having a hard time choosing a car seat.  We need something on the smaller side, since both boys are still in their car seats.  We had a Chicco Keyfit 30 with them and I loved the safety, look, ease of use but it was quite huge and I'm not sure that something that large will work in our forth-coming crammed vehicle.  The only other gripe I had with that car seat was the sun canopy - it could have standed to be a little larger.  It never really seemed to serve its purpose because it was so short (that's not a deal-breaker, but for $180....)  I've looked at lots of options this time around - the Graco Snugride, Britax B-Safe, etc... but they're either HUGE or not rated well for safety.  I'm also fighting the fabric issue - Tessa will be born in hottttttt August, so I'm not crazy about all black or velvety-type fabrics.  And if they're not black, they're soooo pink that they look like pepto.  And ya'll know how I feel about all that pink.... (I'm slowly but surely coming around to pink, but I just wish they offered more purple/aqua/yellow/minty greens for girls!)

So that's all I've got today.  I want to spend my weekends perusing baby shops, Ikea, and Homegoods to get our house and/or lives in order, but most of my weekends are consumed with work, boys and a husband who wants to work in the yard most weekends (I don't blame him - I love yardwork too).  I just hope we can nail down the essentials before peanut gets here!  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment