Monday, September 12, 2011

Relay for Life 2011


Friday night, Brandon and I participated in Bartow County's Relay for Life.  This is an awesome event put on by The American Cancer Society and local organizations, churches and businesses.  Brandon and I attended the Survivor's dinner and then Brandon participated in the Survivor's lap.  

The Survivor's dinner was really neat.  The local nurses and oncologists that work with these cancer patients actually served the Survivors and their guests.  It was really an inspiring moment to sit in the dinner tent with lots of families who are also facing this cancer giant.  From an easy glance, you can see anxiety, pain, grief, and more importantly love and HOPE.  

After dinner, the Relay kicked off with the annual Survivor's lap.  This is where each cancer survivor stands together with their purple shirt and balloon and walks together.  It's easy for some, but for others it's all they can do to make that lap.  The survivors released balloons based on how long they have battled cancer.  For many (including us) it has been less than one year, but for most it has been 10+ years of chemotherapies, radiations and operations.  I had chill bumps all over when they released their balloons.





After the Survivor's lap, the Relay festivities began.  The company that I work for had a tent, so I spent a lot of time selling tacos and playing games with the kiddos.  We didn't take the boys because I wanted Brandon to be able to participate as he wanted and I had to work at the bank tent.  After the Survivor's lap, Brandon left to go get the boys but the poor little guys fell asleep before he could get them there.  The Relay goes all night long with the closing ceremony at 9 AM on Saturday.  We didn't stay all night because we both had to work the next day.  I tried to get a few pictures of Brandon with his family at the event.







If you get the opportunity to attend a Relay for Life event in your town, I can assure you that you will enjoy it.  You can't help but be touched by the amount of love and hope surrounding you.  And to be honest with you - you just never know when cancer will touch your life.  Last year, Brandon stood beside me on the sidelines watching the Survivor's take their victory lap.  This year, he was wearing purple.  It could be me next year, or my mother, or your mother or your husband.  Take the time to acknowledge how cancer affects the people surrounding you.  I promise you will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment