Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Santa Came!!



When I was a child, Christmas was the like the grand finale of the Disney World firework show.  We ended each year with SANTA and what could be better than that!?  I actually remember feeling sorry for my parents as I got older because Santa didn't bring the adults as much and I remember thinking how terrible that must be.  But now that I'm an adult, I must say - Christmas is even better than it was as a child.  Will is finally understanding Christmas and his excitement was worth every single second of searching, buying, wrapping, decorating, and planning.  Brooks of course was excited on Christmas morning too - but Will was through the roof!





Santa left each boy a letter explaining how good they had been this year and what things he would like to see improvement on next year.  Will exclaimed "Mom!  Santa said I had been a good boy!  I was worried that I wasn't!  AND" he said "TODAY IS JESUS' BIRTHDAY!!!"  It was so cute!  Santa also said in his letter that Brooks' gifts were in green paper and Will's were in red.  I know lots of Santas do not wrap.  But ours does for 2 reasons - first - this is the only way that I have figured out how to keep one child from claiming another child's gifts.  If they are concentrating on unwrapping their own gifts, they don't pay too much attention to what their brother is getting.  Secondly, this method of unwrapping slows them down long enough for me to almost see their reaction to each toy.  Eventually - when the children are a good bit older - I would like for them to take turns opening gifts just like I grew up doing, but I realize we have a while before I can expect that to happen.

Onto the gifts - boy did Santa deliver this year!

For Will, Santa brought a new 16" Schwinn bike, an Imaginext castle & dragon, Lego City legos + additional legos, a new Nerf gun, a new toy truck & horse trailer, a case for his Mobigo & a Jake & the Neverland Pirates game, a new board game, hexagon blocks, Madagascar 3 Blu Ray, Under Armour, a new playdoh crane, a matchbox sized helicopter (he loves helicopters), 2 new books, a Lego man flashlight key chain, and lots of other little items to fill his stocking.



For Brooks, Santa brought a red Plasmacar, a huge new Schleich wooden barn set, a mircrophone on a stand (the only thing he asked for), Lego Duplo Farm set + additional legos, a new Nerf gun, a new truck and horse trailer, a new board game, new Automoblox, a take apart crane, Mickey Mouse on the Farm DVD, Under Armour, a new playdoh crane, a matchbox sized space shuttle, 2 new books, a Lego man flashlight key chain, new toy animals for his farm, and plenty of other things to fill his stocking.



And Santa certainly did not forget Miss Tessa!  He brought her a huge new picture frame from this Etsy store that she's been dying for (ha!), a Fisher Price play table, a Cabbage Patch doll, a Jelly Cat stuffed bunny, 4 new books, lots of new frocks from Matilda Jane, a sippy cup with her name on it, and tons of teethers and clutching toys.




We had such a great morning.  The kids were so very happy with everything that they received.  Around 10:30, we packed up and headed to my mom's for our annual Christmas morning brunch.  My brother grilled steak & eggs, my dad made fried pork tenderloin, and my mom made french toast, biscuits and bacon.  And of course, our Christmas morning mimosas!  We ate and then enjoyed watching the kids tear through more gifts.  My boys love my niece and nephew and are "best fwends" so they had a big morning there too. 




After a few hours at my parent's house, we made the trip to Brandon's family farm for more gift exchanging and Christmas dinner with his family.  The kids had more fun and Nonna & Papa gifted them with iPod touches, toy trumpets, and a new ball pit (both of which we "accidentally" left at their house).  My mother-in-law made turkey & dressing, ham, and all the other traditional holiday favorites.  By this time, Will was completely beside himself to get back home and play with his toys.  If he asked once, he asked 1,000 times when we were going home.  Once we finally got home, I let them stay way up past their bedtime playing with all of their new toys and gadgets.




We had such a wonderful Christmas this year, but I definitely see a few changes in store for next year.  No more leaving the house on Christmas day.  Our kids have finally reached the age where they want to stay home and play with their new things and that is exactly what I plan on letting them do next year.  The rest can be rearranged.






Three days later, Will's favorite gifts have proven to be the Imaginext batcave (a gift from my mom), the Imaginext dragon castle, Brooks' barn, legos, the tiny toy helicopter and playdough.  It's really been too cold/windy/rainy to go out and ride his new bike but we're hoping to get to do that this weekend.  Brooks' favorites are Will's batcave, the barn, playdough and his microphone.  He has also enjoyed scooting around the house on his plasmacar, but we'll get it outside (or at least in the garage) this weekend.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.  I gathered from Facebook that many of you were under the weather this Christmas, but I hope that the Christmas spirit found you anyway.  In light of the tragedies that have happened in the last few weeks, I know I was very grateful to have my little family of 5 together this holiday.  Now onto the next holiday - Happy New Year friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment